Monday, May 14, 2007

I'm feelin' it. . .

Let's just say I've never been a huge fan of working out. It seems like too much work without getting anywhere. Same for jogging. Too much sweat and you don't go very far.

But biking on the other hand - the wind in your face, the road unwinding beneath you, the trees whipping by at your side - that I enjoy. And I've been needing to get back into shape for awhile now, and spring is hear, and I've had a lot of time on my hands with the girls in California, so lately I've been doing a lot of bike riding. Mostly a 5 mile ride near our house, or the 10-mile roundtrip to Key Center, or an 8-10 mile ride around Pt. Defiance Park in Tacoma.

Today I pushed it and did a 25-mile ride along the Burke-Gilman trail in Seattle, from my parents' house to Gasworks Park and back. It was a beautiful day for a ride. Mid-60s, cloudless skies, flowers in bloom, slight cooling breeze. It was exhilarating, actually. But let's just say the last 5 miles found my legs turning to jello. And let's just say I've been in pain the rest of the day. Let's just say I'm feelin' the burn, as it goes.

But I saw a lot of people, scooted around some ducks, passed through the all the UW excitement, rode along Lake Washington and Lake Union, I burned about 1200 calories, and I didn't harm the environment in the slightest. That's the kind of workout I can get into.

No comments: