Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Jerry Falwell Dead

The story, among other places, here.

Like so many, he did a lot of good, and he did a lot of harm. He will probably go down in history as the hero of many, and the embarrassment of many more. For me, he was the first person I thought of on 9/11. One of my prayers that morning was "Please, God, don't let Falwell make a public pronouncement about this being God's judgment because of the gays. . ." Unfortunately, I think it only took a couple days for Jerry to do just that. I'm sure the days ahead will be filled with mourning and rejoicing, depending on which side of the spectrum you find yourself. If he was anything, he was a polarizing figure. Unfortunately, at least in the public sphere, he seemed much more interested in judging than in offering grace. I trust that he has met the God who is much more interested in offering grace to sinners than he ever was.

No comments: