Thursday, June 28, 2007

The great sermon experiment, Week 5

Texts for Sunday, July 8:
2 Kings 5:1-14
Psalm 30

Psalm 30 is one of my favorites, especially this line: weeping may last for a night, but rejoicing comes with the morning.

Both texts deal with a person being taken from despair to joy. They both speak of God stepping into a life and fixing that which was broken. Both deal with despair and hope. And both make clear Who it is that we can rely on for help in trouble.

Some questions to ponder:
1) Where have you seen this in your life? Have you experienced miraculous physical healing? Have you been lifted from the pit, from mourning to joy?
2) Besides being healed, what lessons did Naaman learn from his experience? Was there more to this story than flesh being made clean?
3) What is the important lesson for us to learn from these texts? There are a lot at play - power, glory, miracles, doubt, God's sovereignty. How do these texts speak to you today?
4) If you had to summarize the lesson of these texts in one sentence, what would it be?

2 comments:

Cleaver said...

Recently we have had new visitors to our bird feeder area. Zenaida macroura, more commonly known as the Mourning Dove, named for thier sad cooing. This is reminiscent of myself and the passages for this week.The times when I have felt myself comfortable in life I too as Naaman have found myself in the spot where I did not trust in the Lord but in my own judgement and actions. During the time of my devorce I would not give into the fact I was depressed. I would tell myself how everything was ok and I could handle it. That was a time in my life where I was not close to God. People around me could here my sad cooing, however I was not listening. It was finally thru my daughter, like Elisha, who prayed and invited me to worship and re commit my life to the Lord.
Several years later I was feelin comfortable in life and satan pounced on me again. It was a very difficult year until once again I received the healing power of the Holy Spirit. I now know how important it is to be in constant prayer and fellowship with fellow christians, not only on the spiritual level but on the human level.
summerize; to believe is to trust in God.

Gene

Linda Anderson said...

Experiment Response - Week 5


There is no need to expound on what Gene shared. We have all been there at one time or another and known God’s merciful and loving hand lifting us out of the muck and mire. Some of us seem to have to go there again and again to remember Who it is that lifts us up.

This season is my “summer in the Psalms”, as they are a large part of the daily reading schedule adapted from The Common Book of Prayer that I am using. Every day the selected Psalms speak to my life, my heart and mind, my circumstances. They encourage me, lift me out of the mire of my circumstances and lead me to praise–which always lifts me higher. Psalm 30 does no less. When we praise God for all that He has done our past, it is a testimony to others to find joy in the midst of their circumstances. Whether it is before, during or after a problem, Satan has no power to steal our joy when we focus on praising the all-powerful One Who is with us every moment.

Hymns that come to mind: “If I never had a problem, I wouldn’t know that He could solve them; I wouldn’t know what faith in God can do” (Through It All). “Hold on, my child, joy comes in the morning. Weeping only last for the night. Hold on, my child, joy comes in the morning. The darkest hour means dawn is just in sight.” And from the early 70s: “I’ve got confidence, God is going to see me through. No matter what the case may be, I know He’s gonna fix it for me”