Friday, July 20, 2007

FWIW

I don't care in the slightest that the new Harry Potter book is coming out tomorrow. I haven't read one page of any of the previous books, and I don't really intend to. I have noticed the hubbub all over the news, and I do know a lot of people are breathless with anticipation. I'm just not one of them.

And no, it's not because it's about witchcraft and such. It's more because I'd rather read Tolstoy or Annie Dillard or Luci Shaw than a pop children's book. Call me weird.

Friday Random 10

I don't know about this one. #2 is off an album I really loved, but it's not aging well. And the randomness of the genres kind of set me on edge - jumping from jazz to bluegrass to baroque. Still, we got our Vineyard song in there for Vince (Surrender), and both the Derek Webb and Mindy Smith albums are aging quite well, so there are some diamonds in here. I just may need to clean out my music files a bit.

Party Goin’ On Upstairs – The Electrics

Lay it Down – Todd Agnew

A Kiss to Build a Dream On – Louis Armstrong

Never Far Away – Jack White

Flobt, mein Heiland – Kathleen Battle

Surrender – Kim McMechen

Take to the World – Derek Webb

Walk Right Back – Nanci Griffith

Desire – U2

Hurricane – Mindy Smith

Slice of Life
Right now, down at my house (and for the last 3 days, too), are:
- my two precious children
- my sister-in-law
- my niece (3) and nephew (1)
- my mother-in-law, from Southern California
- my aunt-in-law, from Mexico

And Karina is at the airport in Oakland, trying to get home, but the airport is a mess. And they had an earthquake this morning.

Chaotic might be the right word for it. Yes, it's all fun, and someday we'll all laugh about these days. For now, I just think I'll stay up here in my office.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Too bad you don't have the new Harry Potter book to keep you company while you sit in your office avoiding the relatives. And yes, I've read them. And yes, I own them. So there. (Susan)