Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Just when things were getting friendly

Pope Benedict XVI just approved a document which says that "Catholicism provides the only true path to salvation," while "other Christian communities are either defective or not true churches."

Article here


Apparently, protestant churches are not true Churches because they lack apostolic succession, and the Orthodox church is defective because it doesn't recognize the Pope's authority.

Can I issue a statement saying that Pope Benedict XVI is wrong?

Or maybe I'll just use Fred Clark's statement:

"You're Not the Pope of Me!"

3 comments:

Russ said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Russ said...

So last night I was talking with a couple people in our church, former Catholics, and they got offended that I asked what they thought about the Pope making a declaration that will do more harm ecumenically than good. It makes no sense to me, if you are not attending "The Church" and you have settled for Evangelical pastures then dagumit (Oregon term meaning frustration with people who don't know what they believe) then go back to "The Church".

Thanks for linking the AP story...I think there is a youth message on unity in there somewhere:)

Shalom

Russ said...

sorry I deleted the original comment...said the same thing.