Friday, August 10, 2007

Weird happenings in the life of Dan

As you all know, last weekend I attended my High School 20-year Reunion, and saw a lot of people I hadn't seen in, well, 20 years. A couple days ago I received an email from another of our classmates who hadn't made it to the reunion, just checking in to say hello.

Yesterday I checked my email and had a message from a former youth group member from Upland days, one I haven't seen in probably 10 years. The last time I heard from her was maybe 5 years ago? For whatever reason, she became curious about us, googled my name, found me, and wrote to say hello.

Three hours later, I was on gmail when up popped a gmail chat from another former youth group member from my Upland days. I hadn't talked to her in a couple years. But for whatever reason she was using a mutual friend's computer, saw my name on the gmail chat list, and popped in to say hi.

It's like Dan Whitmarsh Old Home week. I'd call it coincidence, but the timing is too odd for that. God must be up to something. What? I don't know.

However, I will say this. About 5 years ago I went through a period where almost every week for a three month period, I heard about a friend or former youth group member who had crashed and burned. I started to doubt all the work I'd done, all the effort I'd put in.

And now, most of these friends are doing quite well. Many are coming out of painful situations, but putting their lives back together. They're on an upswing, you might say. Which is. . .encouraging.

At the very least, I'm realizing the value of older friends, and the need to maintain contacts with at least some of them. And I'm thankful for the internet, which makes it that much easier.

So anybody else want to pop back into my life?

Friday Random 10

We seem a little mellow today. #s 1 and 6 are by the woman I think has one of the strongest voices in christian music. #6 kicks off the album that showed up in the Amazon box this week. #s3 and 4 represent the classical genre beautifully. #s 2 and 5 fill in the gentle piano
music category. And see #7 and #8? Both have to do with sleeping. Maybe I should take a nap.

  1. Go – Plumb, from Beautiful Lumps of Coal
  2. Looking Back – Jim Brickman, from By Heart: Piano Solos
  3. All Things Bright and Beautiful – from Gloria: Sacred Music of John Rutter
  4. Eternal Source of Light Divine – Kathleen Battle and Wynton Marsalis, from Baroque Duets
  5. Japanese Music Box(Itsuki No Komoriuta) – George Winston, from Forest
  6. Blush (Only You) – Plumb, from Chaotic Resolve
  7. Lullaby – Dixie Chicks, from Taking the Long Way
  8. Where the Angels Sleep­ - Bebo Norman, from Ten Thousand Days
  9. On a Day When the Wind is Perfect – David Wilcox, from Out Beyond Ideas
  10. To Be Loved – Dennis Jernigan, from I Belong to Jesus

No comments: