Saturday, October 20, 2007

Testing the Faith

Note 1: No animals were harmed in the writing of this blog post.
Note 2: The author of this blog post in no way endorses the the infliction of pain upon animals.
Note 3: The author of this blog post does not wish to compare his trials with the True Trials endured by those who truly suffer for their faith. Compared to their tortures, the author recognizes his pain as but a tiny trifle.
________________

Say it's been a pretty rough week. The first 3 days spent at a retreat, which was good, but you didn't get too much sleep because the kids were having too much fun bouncing around the bunkhouse. The last few days have been really tough, because your wife and oldest daughter have become quite sick - fever, coughing, hacking; the works. And that has upset the sleep cycle around the house - they sleep all day and are up all night. You, of course, are up all day working, and then trying to sleep at night, which, of course, never really happens.

You stayed up late last night to watch a movie with your wife, even though you were exhausted. "Tomorrow's Saturday," you think to yourself. "I can sleep in."

All night the sick ones are up and about, making noise, taking showers, blowing their noses. . .and every time you awaken you think "it's ok. I can sleep in."

And then, around 6:30, just when you are entering that stage of deep sleep, the dog escapes. Your wife was letting it out to "do its business," but it runs off into the deep woods, barking at something. Your wife calls and calls, but the dog doesn't return. So she comes and gets you. After all, she's sick and can't be out in the rain.

Which is how I found myself deep in our woods, in my pajamas, under a pouring rain, almost completely blind (I didn't have time to put in my contacts; the baby broke my glasses a few months back).

I worked around a ridge, following the dog's barking. I climbed up through ferns and blackberry vines and downed limbs. Did I mention it was pouring rain? And I was wearing crocs?

I finally reached the dog. Well, it looked like a little brown blur with two bright dots reflecting my flashlight. And it sounded like the dog. I was cut up, bleeding, cold and tired, and missing my warm, comfortable bed. All because this dog ran away. Did I mention I was also nervous? He was barking at something, be it a deer, bear, or vagrant, and I was blind.

Question: What do you do?
Option A - pick up the dog and throw it as far as you can
Option B - kick the dog as hard as you can
Option C - gather the dog into your arms and say "Thanks for doing all this! After all, the Bible says to consider it all joy when we experience trials of many kinds. Because of you, little puppy, my faith is being perfected!"

I never got the choice. Because I told the dog to "STAY!" while I climbed over a log. And the moment my flashlight was off him, he took off like a rocket into the underbrush.

I worked my way over the hill, almost falling into a ditch, and emerged back on the road, soaking wet, cut up, and not exactly glorifying Christ with my attitude.

Karina, she was the smart one. She got in the car and started it, driving slowly down the driveway yelling "ride? Wanna go on a ride?" And the dog came right away, jumping into the car. And she brought him home.

Question:
Now you have the dog in your grasp. Do you
a) Kick the dog
b) Throw the dog into a wall
c) Give the dog a treat so he'll want to come home if he ever runs away again?

I took option D. Walk quickly away, lest you do anything rash.

I must confess. I did not do as James instructed and consider it all joy.

I did, however, crawl back into bed. And actually got another hour or two of sleep. And thankfully, the kids slept through it all. Otherwise they would have seen Daddy at his grumpiest.

1 comment:

Kim said...

Hope your family is feeling better. LOL You poor thing.