Saturday, October 06, 2007

Trouble in the Bible Belt

Seems Oral Roberts U finds itself once again in the midst of a firestorm.

"Richard Roberts [Oral's son and current University President] is accused of illegal involvement in a local political campaign and lavish spending at donors' expense, including numerous home remodeling projects, use of the university jet for his daughter's senior trip to the Bahamas, and a red Mercedes convertible and a Lexus SUV for his wife. . ."

His wife "is accused of dropping tens of thousands of dollars on clothes, awarding nonacademic scholarships to friends of her children and sending scores of text messages on university-issued cell phones to people described in the lawsuit as 'underage males.'"

And apparently some professors who found out about it and questioned what was going on, and were subsequently fired, are now suing the school. I can hear the media salivating.

By the way, Pres. Roberts isn't worried. God told him it would be okay, and that this is just the result of living in a litigious society." Okay.

I read this story just after I read the article Kim linked to from Charisma magazine.

"That’s why I fear for many of the men and women who claim to be God’s mouthpieces today, particularly in the charismatic/Pentecostal movement that I serve. When I read Leviticus 10, I wonder why the ground has not opened up and swallowed some of the careless spiritual clowns who are masquerading as bishops, apostles and prophets.

It's going to be a good story one way or the other. And we'll end up having more mud slung on the face of Christianity because of these boobs. Lord, have mercy.

1 comment:

Kim said...

I remember something Tony Campolo said many years ago at a conference I attended in Boston. He said "The only difference between 'them' (meaning high profile religious leaders who screw up) and 'us' is that we've not been found out yet."

That said, however, it still ticks me off to no end when I see pharisees acting like...well, pharisees! And then they don't even have the decency to own up to their mistakes until the media gets involved and blows it all up.