Tuesday, November 27, 2007

A (slight) moderation on the previous post

About 12 years ago Van Putman put it this way: "Dan, you're a musical bigot." He was only 1/2 joking. I guess I do have pretty definite opinions as to what constitutes good music. Of course, 25 years of studying and playing, a music degree, and time spent playing some of the world's best music gives me perhaps slightly more authority on the subject than your average player of Guitar Hero.

But, in the end, it's still my opinion. If you like Selah, Celine Dion, Carman, and Kenny G, you're welcome to listen to it, and even enjoy it. You can argue with my high-fallutin' opinions on the comments section on any post I make. I'm man enough to take it.

I must also recognize this fallacy in yesterday's post. I was comparing the best of "the world's" music with some of the cheesier product out of the CCM world. In the interest of honesty, I should admit that I do have some "Christian" Christmas albums I like very much - Andrew Peterson's Behold the Lamb of God, Amy Grant's 1st Christmas Album, the first 2 Christmas albums by Michael W Smith ( I haven't heard the 3rd yet); there were parts of the Jaci Velázquez Christmas album that I really liked. And, of course, "the world" has produced its share of hideous Christmas albums. The $5.99 CD bin at Big Lots is full of these. Even at Borders the other day I looked through the Christmas display and realized I wouldn't want 75% of their product. Perhaps it's just the sheer numbers of albums that make it seem weighted. If "the world" produces 300 Christmas albums, there's bound to be 20 or 30 that are worth buying. Whereas, when the CCM industry produces 10 Christmas albums a year, and I find one decent one every 3 years, those probably average out.

So, for the moment, I'll be quiet about "the industries" and simply comment on the specific albums, and if you want to agree or disagree, feel free to do so.

BTW - on the 10th time (or so) through of the Mindy Smith, all I can say is I think it makes my all-time top 10 list, and makes #1 for this year. You really ought to get it.

And if you want to listen to the Selah album, I think I'm donating my copy to the church's library.

3 comments:

Glenn said...

dan! its me glenn! hows it going? i have a question for you. adam and i are planning on taking a road trip up north over christmas break, and we were wondering if we could stop by and see you, karina, and the kids. we havent set any hard dates yet, but were thinking of leaving a couple days after christmas and driving straight up to canada. we want to do this first because we dont have passports and you need them to get back into the country after the 1st. after we spend a day or two there, were going to work are way back down south, and we would like to stop in your neck of the woods. so do you think you guys will not be too busy and be able to see us for a day or two? i mean, its only the holidays, how busy could a pastor and his family be, right? ;) like i said, were not sure on exact dates yet, but im guessing the whole trip will take place around the 27th-2nd-ish. so what do you think? will that work out for you guys at all? email me back at glennstante@gmail.com

hope to see ya soon!
glenn

Kent said...

For the first 3 1/2 years of my life I lived in a town called Selah.

Gracie said...

phew. I'm glad u pulled back a little. Cuz here's my not even solicited opinion, as another music lover, and dare I say, someone trained in music, I love Selah! Perhaps it comes because my best friend from college went to school with them. In fact, the original Selah group went to a tiny school just north of where I live and they still engage in the community regularly. But even more than who they are, I really, really, really like their stuff. So...there you go.