Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Somewhat disappointed

Some time back, the church I worked for subscribed to a worship magazine, one that came with a CD of new worship songs about 4 times a year. Eventually, I came to realize that of the 12 songs (or s0) per CD, only a couple were even suitable for our church, and of those we might use one or two a year. Some of their selections baffled me in their poor quality, bad theology, and general cheesiness.

But, it's been 7 or 8 years, so I decided to give them another shot. I sent away for the free trial magazine and CD, after which I could decide whether or not to pay for a yearly subscription.

And they sent me a Kid's Music CD. Which isn't helpful in the slightest. Both because it doesn't help me in my decision whether or not to pay for a subscription, and also because most of these songs are unusable. I know it's kid's music, but the cheesiness factor is as high as ever (why do we feel that synthesized bands are a necessity for children's albums? Are there no Real Musicians who can play on these songs?).

So anybody out there use the Song Discovery Service? Is it worth the $60 per year? Based on this edition they sent me, I'm leaning away from it.

2 comments:

MilePost13 said...

NO. It's NOT worth it.

Kim said...

So anybody out there use the Song Discovery Service? Is it worth the $60 per year? Based on this edition they sent me, I'm leaning away from it.

I think folks either like it, or they don't. I'm not a subscriber yet (I will be soon), but I'm familiar with the series and I've seen a lot of the material. A girlfriend of mine subscribes, and we do some of the material when we go to other churches - some of it is really nice, we've found some real gems.

Because I don't specifically lead worship at only one church, the variety I've seen makes it worth subscribing to, for me anyhow. I'm very open minded and always trying new things.

Now, that said, I've seen a lot of crap come across my desk over the years as well. You just know publishing houses are simply churning out stuff for the heck of it.

I think if the personality of your particular church doesn't fit what you get with Song Discovery, you might be better off hunting the internet for stuff you like instead. I do that now. However, to me, $60.00 is pretty cheap to get new music on a regular basis, and to know that many other places are getting the same. I like to keep current, and heck, I spend more than that on coffee, for crying out loud! LOL