Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Quick snapshot

It was back before music came over the internet, back before CDs came in jewel cases complete with extensive liner notes. Back when you had to listen to music closely to figure out the lyrics. For that matter, it was back when song lyrics actually meant something, back when lyrics were poetry and songwriters were artists.

Back before your average lyric was "oh baby shake that baby baby oh mm oh shake dance oh. . ."

(transition)

My parents were those people who were usually the last to leave Church on a Sunday morning. They, the Danielsons, the Meyers (Hey Marcia!), the Golikes. . .they would all just sit around and, I don't know, talk or something. For what seemed like hours and hours and hours. And after a while, we kids would get tired of running all over the church while waiting. So eventually we'd go sit in the car and listen to the radio. If it was fall, then it would be the Seahawks game, but any other time meant great stereophonic popular music streaming through the factory speakers in the Catalina.

(connect the dots. . .)

Which is the first place my memory went when I head that Dan Fogelberg died over the weekend. Sitting in the front seat (the bench seat) of the Pontiac, trying in vain to figure out the line from Leader of the Band that I would later learn goes "Living out the life I've chose and grown to know so well."

Let's be honest. Dan Fogelberg is one of those guys, like John Denver, and Barry Manilow, who everybody secretly loves but is too afraid to admit it, for fear of being "uncool."

So let me state for the record - I still can't watch the Kentucky Derby without thinking of The Run for the Roses. If I'm flipping around the radio dial and here Same Old Lange Syne I have to listen to the end. Listening to Dan Fogelberg makes me happy, in a melancholy sort of way.

There, I said it, and I'm sticking to it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm right there with you - found myself singing along more than once in the past couple of days.
In fact I'm a step ahead of you. Somewhere I have an actual DF CD! (Susan)