Monday, January 07, 2008

On humor, church newsletters, and confusion

It was the middle of December. I was in the midst of the holiday rush, the end-of-the-year rush, the church-life-is-really-busy rush. And I needed to write the lead article for the January edition of our church newsletter. I had no desire to think of anything deep or profound at the moment. And I'd been toying with the idea of doing something funny, instead.

Back in college, I penned a popular column with my friend Dave - we called it The Adventures of Dan and Dave. We had lots of fun - we basically made stuff up to comment on life around our school. We made up quotes. We fabricated adventuresome wanderings around Los Angeles. We lied about our friends. But everybody knew it was farce. Think Dave Barry. And we quickly became two of the more popular guys on campus. I actually experienced a couple of those moments when I'd be introduced as "the Dan of 'Dan and Dave,'" and the person I was meeting responded with "THE Dan and Dave! Wow! I love your stuff!" Call it my 15 minutes of fame.

So last month I put on my "humor" hat and penned the article for our newsletter, an article in which I find myself replaced at our church by a sermon karaoke machine. I'm gone, and every week the church folk preach famous sermons via the technology of Sermon Karaoke.

The reaction has been mostly positive. People have gotten a laugh. Even my own wife complimented me on the article.

Except for this.

A lady told me she's been called by a couple people, people who thought it was serious, people who are wondering "what's going on at that church?"

Another told me she's been approached by people who are concerned that they are "missing the deeper meaning" of the article.

And late last week, Doug received a phone call from a local man, wondering if we were looking for pulpit supply, now that our pastor has left.

Aaah, the biting edge of satire. Sometimes, if you're too good, people don't get what you're doing.
(as an aside, check the latest Christianity Today article about Lark News. It fits in well right about here)

So, if I haven't been clear by now: THE ARTICLE WAS A JOKE! IT WAS SUPPOSED TO MAKE YOU LAUGH! THAT IS ALL!

Sorry if you missed that in the original go-around.

And for all you non-Church Mouse-receivers, I just may post the original article tomorrow.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It made me laugh. (Susan)

Linda Anderson said...

It was entertaining, especially knowing some of those characters. And, again, it is nice to know that people read the MOUSE.