Friday, February 15, 2008

Friday random Stuff

Way back when, I had this friend - he was a volunteer in our youth program, we went to Anaheim Angel's games together, he had a Jeep a couple years before I got mine, we even jammed in the local coffee house together. Then I moved away from Southern California and we lost touch.

I found him again yesterday. Seems he's living the life of a musician down in Texas.

David Clucas and the Horsepainters

+++++++++++++++++

You know Murphy's Law. If you're in business, you know the Peter Principle. And what's the name of that rule that says every internet discussion eventually ends up talking about the Nazis?

I'm thinking of coining a new maxim. It goes like this: Every youtube clip related to 9-11 carries a comment stream in which conspiracy theorists expound the many clues that prove George Bush ordered the attacks.

I know, it's a little ponderous. I'm still working on it. But seriously, I was looking for a clip the other day, and EVERY SINGLE ONE led to a comment stream in which conspiracy theorists "exposed the lies!!!!!" (It's a missile! The building blew up before the plane got there! There was no plane - it's a TV trick!), after which others began calling the conspiracy theorists all sorts of names.

As a subheading to this new rule, I think there will be another one along the lines of "Every youtube clip related to the Apollo moon landings will receive comments from conspiracy theorists claiming the moon landings were a hoax."

++++++++++++++++

And it's been awhile since I did a Friday Random 10, so let me leave you with this, before I head out the door for the week:

1. The Eleventh Reel - Chris Thile, "How to Grow a Woman from the Ground"
2. Immortal, Invisible - Fernando Ortega, "Fernando Ortega"
3. Wings of a Dove - Nanci Griffith, "Other Voices, Too (A Trip Back to Bountiful)
4. Out Loud - Mindy Smith, "Long Island Shores"
5. Unnoticed - Plumb, "Beautiful Lumps of Coal"
6. Fly Me to the Moon - Diana Krall, "Live In Paris"
7. All Shall Be Well - Andrew Peterson, "The Far Country"
8. Sally Johnson - The Dillards, "There is a Time (1963-70)
9. Lift Up Your Hearts (Sorsum Corda) - Derri Daugherty, "City On a Hill: Sing Alleluia"
10. Let Me Go - Susan Ashton, "Angels of Mercy"

4 comments:

Kim said...

"Every youtube clip related to the Apollo moon landings will receive comments from conspiracy theorists claiming the moon landings were a hoax."

Bwahahaha!! I immediately thought of this after your first maxim...and then you said it! LOL! You know, I have actual, real life friends that believe the moon landings didn't really happen.

Well - we all have our own little idiosyncracies, now, don't we?

Kim said...

PS - have a GREAT vacation!!!!! :-)

Sean said...

And what's the name of that rule that says every internet discussion eventually ends up talking about the Nazis?

You're talking about Godwin's Law (or Godwin's Theory of Usenet Discussions). The theory says that the longer a discussion goes on the higher the probability that someone will discuss Hitler/the Nazis to either defend their position or to discredit the other person's argument.

Godwin's Law states that if someone mentions Hitler/the Nazis then they automatically lose the argument.

The funny thing is that I've actually called Godwin's Law when I was in school.

Billy Kangas said...

Hey there,
I noticed your post on Jesus Creed about coffees you enjoyed so I came over here to see what you were up to. I'm always looking for people with interests in God and in Coffee.

I work primarily in the church, but I moonlight at a coffee shop or two and have a pretty healthy obsession with the black stuff. I'm curious as to how you get your coffee.

I write about coffee at http://billykangas.blogspot.com
I write about God at http://orant.blogspot.com

I'd be really interested in what you'd have to say on both!
Thanks.
-Billy Kangas