Tuesday, September 02, 2008

David Gibbons on Church Building

David Gibbons is a Covenant Pastor, so he's got that going for him. And he's rethinking how we plant and build churches.

On his visit to Bangkok - "I visited other churches and discovered that the Evangelical Covenant denomination there had 4,000 people in roughly 400 churches. It hit me. Back home NewSong had about 4,000 in four congregations.

I saw four churches with 4,000 people versus 400 churches with the same number of people, and the question I felt God posing to me is, Who's stronger?"

Funny - I remember Brad and I talking about this model 5 or 6 years ago. David must have been listening in.

In all seriousness, I think David's getting it - smaller really can be better in the Kingdom. And considering the size of David's church, it's refreshing to hear him recognize that.

1 comment:

Matt said...

Great article, Dan. I just sent the link to the core group of our church plant.