Friday, September 12, 2008

Family - you gotta love 'em

This weekend is the great big Whitmarsh family reunion out at Pacific Beach, on the Washington Coast. It's supposed to be sunny and in the 70s all weekend. And the resort where we're all staying is apparently quite nice, complete with a bowling alley, restaurant, sauna and hot tub, workout facilities, play area for the kids, and miles of empty beach to explore.

My grandparents had 10 kids, and for the most part those kids had a lot of their own kids, so there are lots and lots of cousins and second cousins and such, many whom I haven't met, and many others who I haven't seen in 15 years. As for Karina and our kids, they've met precious few of the larger family, so I expect this to be somewhat of a shock for them. I hear there are about 100 of us Whitmarsh's expected to show up.

But good stories have come out of the last few reunions - the ones I've missed - so we're thinking this should be a wonderful time to relax and reconnect, taking long walks and flying kites and maybe even playing Uno late into the night. Add in the fact that it's one of those rare Sundays I don't have to work, and it should just about be perfect.

No comments: