Tuesday, September 09, 2008

When you want something cool and refreshing. . .

Do you ask for a soda? For a Coke? For a pop?

Depends on where you find yourself in this map:
If you can't read the fine print, blueish areas are "pop" areas, yellowish areas are "soda" areas, and reddish areas are "coke" areas.

Unless you're like me, who adopted "soda" while in California and just can't quite bring myself to say "pop" anymore.

Two quick highlights:
- this is not a joke, but a serious article in the journal of English Linguistics.
- according to the article, "Americans drink so much of the carbonated beverages sold under such brand names as Coca-Cola, Pepsi, Sprite, Mountain Dew, and 7-Up that consumption averages 43 gallons per year for every man, woman, and child in the United States." Anybody want to hazard a guess for a cause of the rising obesity and diabetes rates?

source.

2 comments:

Beth B said...

Oh Dan, you've touched on a continuing debate in this household!

Steve is from L.A., so by rights he ought to refer to it as "soda," but no, he insists it is "pop."

May I encourage you to continue to name things correctly, as we were taught to in St. Louis. ; )

Lori said...

When in Rome, do as the Romans do! I say pop here at home, and when I go to California to visit my family, I say soda. Who cares anyway. It's garbage going into our system, and I fully admit that I am a Pepsiholic as well as a coffee fiend. Any statistics on coffee Dan? I'd like to see that too.