Friday, October 10, 2008

Sometimes, as a father, I shudder

Two articles I came across this morning that make me want to pack my bags and move to, idk, Wasilla Alaska, maybe?

First, a September article about the media's attempts to sexualize our girls, even when they are as young as four years old. I'm not sure which is more disturbing:
- the thought of little girls dressing up in vampy clothes and dancing for the delight of strangers
- the parents who actually find this sort of thing appropriate, or, even worse, "cute."
- the corporate entities who are taking our daughters' innocence all the way to the bank

Second, Andrew Jones' account of his daughter being given the HPV vaccine, in spite of the fact that he and his wife and his daughter ALL agreed it would be better if she opted out, and checked the "no" box on the consent form. Seems the dr. went ahead and did it anyway.

Again, a perfect example of "professionals" thinking they know better than you as a parent. And the unsettling suspicion that, behind it all, nefarious corporations are getting rich by turning peer pressure against those who would choose not to consume their product.

via
____

It already began with us a few weeks ago, when we first heard "but daddy, ALL the other kids bring their ipods on the school bus. I'm the ONLY kid on the bus that doesn't have one." This from our innocent third grade daughter. And I've seen enough in all my years as a youth pastor to know it doesn't ever let up.

No comments: