Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Sometimes Visitation Comes to You

Yesterday I got into the office and did about an hour's worth of work, before I walked out and bumped into a new friend. He and I had a long, deep talk about spirituality and community and seeking our way in life. After he left I had a chat with a woman about a mutual friend who is deeply hurting at the moment. Then our mission chair asked to meet with me about something, so we talked for 30 minutes or so. After she left I walked over to the front office, and saw one of our older ladies sitting there, waiting for Bible Study to start, so I chatted with her for 15 minutes or so. Then another woman from the church walked in - one I'd been hoping to talk with for a little while, so she came into my office and we talked about life and leadership for 3o minutes. In between all that I received a phone call from a woman who is deeply struggling with financial and marriage issues, and we talked through some options together. In the midst of all that another woman from the church came in with some concerns about some possible "inappropriate political advertising" taking place on church property. And then, just about the time I was heading home for lunch, in walked our janitor, who had been in the hospital over the weekend, so he and I spent some time catching up on all that was going on in his life.

I had one thing to accomplish yesterday: sending out the email newsletter. Short, simple task, right? I began it at 10:00, and didn't get it our for 5 or 6 more hours, simply because the day was spent visiting with people. Some people would like to see me get out of the office to do more visitation; lately I'm finding I can't get out of the office because all the visitation is coming to me.

And so goes the life of a community pastor.

No comments: