Wednesday, November 26, 2008

An incomplete itemized list of things for which I am thankful

- I have two beautiful, healthy, sweet, exuberant daughters
- My parents raised me well
- I have the best job in the world. (subset: I suspect I work for the best church in the world)
- My eye surgery went well, and I'm well on the road to recovery
- The people around me appreciate me
- There is food in the pantry (and the fridge and the freezer, and in my stomach, as well)
- There's a car in the driveway (with gas in it)
- I'm surrounded by beauty - quiet bays, soaring mountains, whispering oaks, bald eagles, sea otters, sparrows, deer, ferrets
- My newly-acquired position in the Gig Harbor Peninsula Symphony Orchestra, which is re-awakening a long-dormant passion for symphonic trumpet playing
- My ongoing position in the Lakebay Community Church worship team, which gives space for my idiotic passion for the mandolin
- I get paid to hang out with God, study his Word, pray, and think deeply
- I also get paid to hang out with a lot of really cool people
- I get to watch God (and God's people) work in the lives of others
- I've been through hard times, and I can confess today that God has turned those trials into gold.
- all my blog friends, twitter friends, and facebook friends who stay in touch as the days go by
- I get to spend Thanksgiving with my parents, my brother and his family, my sister, and Karina and our two kids
- The Roberts' just gave us some fresh-pressed apple cider
- This Sunday we get to begin singing Advent music
- When I stopped at Steamers the other day, the muzak was Bing Crosby Christmas music
- The testimony of faithfulness I see in the lives of the people around me, some of whom are suffering greatly these days. You who deal with pain and yet get up every morning and do the things needing to be done - you inspire me.
- In a conversation today I was reminded to be thankful for the last church, who paid my way through seminary so I'm not saddled with a ton of debt.
- The way Clara says "Hey Dad - I love you!" at random moments.
- The way I can see Olivia trying really hard to please her mother and I
- A godly family heritage stretching back many generations - even to the Mayflower and before.
- Friends who disagree and thus stretch me to think harder and deeper about important life issues.
- A warm, dry bed on cold, rainy nights
- Fresh drinking water (did you know millions of people around the world don't have access to fresh water for drinking, cooking, bathing, etc.? Go watch that video below)
- Firewood that needs chopping
- The way God loves me.

No comments: