Friday, December 12, 2008

George W Bush and the Bible

By now, it's all over the news that Pres. Bush admitted he doesn't believe the Bible is "literally true." And that he thinks most religions pray to the same God.

And this nugget, regarding the Christian Scriptures: "but I do think that the New Testament for example is … has got … You know, the important lesson is ‘God sent a son.'"

Seriously. . .one of the most powerful men in the world, the leader of the Free world, the man with his fingers on the nuke buttons, the man making policy decisions that literally affect millions of people. . .and this is the depth of his thinking? He doesn't even have the capacity to sort through the various theories regarding the origins of life?

"I think evolution can — you’re getting me way out of my lane here. I’m just a simple president. But it’s, I think that God created the earth, created the world; I think the creation of the world is so mysterious it requires something as large as an almighty and I don’t think it’s incompatible with the scientific proof that there is evolution."

I honestly believe most of the students who graduated last year's confirmation class could come up with something better than that. I don't mean to be offensive here, but is this the best he can do? The Pope can publish encyclicals regarding faith and science, and our president says "I'm way out of my lane here. I'm just a simple president."

So the question - is he really this slow? Or is he still trying to play the politician, pandering to Christians and non-Christians alike? Is he really a simple president? Or does he just play one on television?

Granted, we don't expect our presidents to be theologians. But we do expect them to be (and sound) intelligent - right? But look at it this way: one of the largest bases of support for the Republican Party has been the Christians in America, and, more specifically, Evangelical Christians. And yet when asked about one of the most basic, fundamental doctrines in Christianity, the President replied with "the New Testament for example is … has got … You know, the important lesson is ‘God sent a son.'" Hooray. At least he paid attention to all those Christmas cards we sent him.

2 comments:

Kim said...

And this is why I nominated you for a blog award. :) http://kimaliczi.blogspot.com/2008/12/my-first-blog-award.html

How'd the concert go?

Matt said...

While far from eloquent, I don't think I disagree with his main point about creation. If I can sort through the Bushy semantics, essentially he recognizes the hand of God in the origin of the universe and life but is not going to be dogmatic about how exactly it happened. I think many more Christians these days are concluding that neither strict darwinism nor 6-day creationists present compelling answers. Perhaps we're becoming more comfortable with ambiguity, and if we were to keep in mind the main theological truth of Genesis-- That God has created human beings in his own image and the gifts of the earth are good-- then the details of how it happened are secondary in importance.

He does have a way with words though... :)