Sunday, January 25, 2009

I'm with the band

Went swing dancing last night. Fundraiser for the local youth center. Started with a pasta dinner, then lessons, then dancing the night away. Lots of friends there, as well. Left our kids (and our friends' kids) with a sitter, drove out and enjoyed the evening with those friends and others. Had almost forgotten what that was like.

However, as to the swing dancing. . .I was reminded why it was always better for me to stay in the band and off the dance floor. Somehow that incredible sense of musical rhythm which I possess doesn't manifest itself in any way once I begin to attempt smooth movement on the dance floor.

Although, I still can't believe that you're supposed to dance a 3-beat step over the top of a 4-beat rhythm. Only white people could come up with that.

All was finally made well when they played a little Lionel Richie, and Karina and I got to slow dance while singing "Stuck On You." No better moment that slow-dancing to Lionel, I always say.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've never heard you say that - but I do agree. (Susan)

anya leah said...

dan, we should get together and jam. i brought my horn up here after fetching it from the parental unit's home in turlock. i'm gettng my lip back in shape...it's pretty sorry sounding right now. hope all's well!