Friday, April 17, 2009

He's Holy

It's one of those moments. We were in Upland, at the in-laws' house. I was upstairs, flipping through TV channels, Karina called me to come down so we could head out into the day. I flipped one more station. . .and there sat this amazing band, playing a most enchanting melody; I couldn't leave until it was over. And so I was introduced to Peter Ostroushko, and I first heard "Heart of the Heartland." The band, of course, was Garrison Keillor's Prairie Home Companion band. And the song has been with me ever since. It's available on the Prairie Home anniversary DVD, it's on Ostroushko's "Heart of the Heartland" CD, and it's all over Ken Burns' "Lewis and Clark" soundtrack. It still floors me every time I hear it.

"Holy God, We Praise Thy Name" is important, too. It's the opening hymn in the liturgy for the ordination service of the Evangelical Covenant Church. Thus, every time it's played, it takes me back to that moment in 2005 when this church put their official hand of blessing on me as one set apart to preach the gospel and administer the sacraments. It's a beautiful song with powerful lyric; it also carried deep personal significance.

Finally, "He's Always Been Faithful" and "Hide Thou Me" become important in the moment; too many people walking through too many dark spaces in life. The storms have been blowing around here; it's good to be reminded of God's faithfulness and shelter even at the darkest moments.

He's Always Been Faithful
- Sara Groves
He Was a Friend of Mine - Nanci Griffith
Heart of the Heartland - Peter Ostroushko (from the Lewis and Clark soundtrack)
Here I Am, Lord - St. Olaf Choir
Here is our King - David Crowder Band
Hey Jude - Joe Anderson (from the Across the Universe soundtrack)
Hide Thou Me - Iris Dement
Highwayman - Johnny Cash (the Highwaymen)
Hold It Up to the Light - David Wilcox
Holiday in Spain - Counting Crows
Holy God, We Praise Thy Name - St Olaf Choir
Holy is the Lord God, Almighty - Chris Tomlin

No comments: