Saturday, May 23, 2009

Bike Ride Report

Route: Side roads through the woods to Longbranch, side roads through the woods to Penrose Point State Park, side roads through the woods back home.
Distance: 10.2 miles
Time: 58 minutes (plus a 20 minute water break at the beach at Penrose)

Nothing special to note regarding this ride, other than the fact that it was early evening, the sun was cutting across the trees onto the western flank of Mt. Rainier, the spring flowers are in full bloom, lawns are mown short, the water in the cove was smooth as glass, and the campground at Penrose is full of happy campers gathered around campfires, preparing for another warm night.

Memorial Day weekend is rarely sunny in the Puget Sound area. If I believed in karma, I would think this was all a straightening-out from our cold, wet winter. But I don't - instead, I simply give thanks to the God who paints his world with such glorious colors, smells, sights, sounds, creatures, plants, coves, waves, and people.

These are the days I'm convinced there is no more beautiful spot on earth than where I live.

As to the greater day:

- Our rummage sale brought in about $4000 in one day - almost twice last year's total.

- The recycling bin has been emptied up at the local solid waste disposal site

- The yard and deck are looking clean

- The propane tank is full

- All we need is the family to show up for a party; then we can say summer is here.

And one more thing: If you're down in Longbranch Monday morning, in the vicinity of the marina, and if you hear taps floating across the water a little after 9:30, that would be me, doing my part for the local Memorial Day wreath laying.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Just say the word and I'll be there for that party you mentioned! (Susan)