Tuesday, June 09, 2009

My childhood dream comes true

This coming Christmas season, Microsoft is releasing Train Simulator version 2. One of the four featured routes is the BNSF mainline over Stevens Pass, Washington.

I spent many days in my childhood and youth camping, hiking, exploring Stevens Pass, and most of those endeavors included the railroad. Moneycreek Campground, Skykomish, the horseshoe bridge over the Foss River, the Deception Creek bridge, and the 7.8-mile-long Cascade Tunnel. Late at night we'd lay in our tents and listen to the throaty growl of those GP-38s pulling against the grade out of Baring; dusty afternoons we'd stand outside the entrance of the Cascade Tunnel waiting for those distant lights to materialize as another auto shipment roaring out into daylight.

I know, I know. Call me a nerd. I've heard it before.

But now I'll get to (virtually) drive those trains, something I once dreamed about as a kid.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow, that brings back memories! (Susan)