Wednesday, August 05, 2009

I was baptized last night

After working out for an hour, I took Clara and Olivia swimming in the pool at the YMCA. We'd been in the pool about 30 minutes when it happened.

Clara: "Daddy, come over here. We'll do that thing with God and the person."
Me: "Um, what?"
Clara: "Come here!"

We swam to the edge of the pool.

Clara: "Now sit down here. I'll be God and you be the person."

So I sat, and she grabbed my head. And said "Now I'm God and you're that person." At which point she pushed my head underwater. Going over backwards, just like we always do in a 'real' baptism. Then she pulled me up and that was that. Olivia witnessed the whole thing. She told Clara, with some assurance, "Clara, it's called baptism."

So, all cuteness aside, my question is, How did she know it's God who is the agent in baptism, and not the pastor?

3 comments:

Frank said...

she must have been baptized as an infant and was graced with that all knowing answer of the source of it all!

shallowfrozenwater said...

and a little child shall lead them.

great story.

Anonymous said...

She is one smart cookie! (Susan)