Friday, August 07, 2009

Want a headache?

Here's an odd tidbit. As most of you know, at the moment I'm wearing a contact in only one eye, due to the corneal transplant I had last October. Which means, generally, I can only see clearly out of my right eye, while my left eye is simply along for the ride, adding some color commentary. And the brain is remarkably adept at sorting things out, basically ignoring those fuzzy signals coming from the left while focusing on the sharp, clear signals from the right. (no, that's not a political statement)

But. . .the other day in the pool I put on a pair of goggles and went under water. Can anybody guess what happens?

Underwater, everything reverses. Suddenly the left eye is the one with clarity of vision, while the right is the out-of-focus one.

At first, I was struck by the fact that, for the first time since October, I could see clearly with my left eye. But quickly that fascination gave way to a grinding headache, as my poor brain desperately tried to click over and process this new information.

And then reverse the process once again upon surfacing.

Yep. A whole night of headache for 5 seconds of underwater coolness.

Thankfully, as I just tweeted, tomorrow I go in and get tested for a contact for the left eye. Another week or so, and I'll be back to seeing with both eyes. It's been nine months. I'm looking foward to it.

1 comment:

Ann said...

ouch!!! your story gives me a glimpse of an empathetic headache! I can't imagine, Dan. May you see clearly after your exam - in stereo!