Thursday, September 17, 2009

No More Mary

More then a decade ago, I went with friends to see Peter, Paul, and Mary live at the Hollywood Bowl. Not as a diehard PPM fan, more so to see a cultural icon, to see a piece of history. And, yes, to sing along with "Leavin' on a Jet Plane."

Part of the thinking behind going was the knowledge that, someday, when they were no more, I could say "I saw them once at the Hollywood Bowl."

That day has come, as Mary Travers died this morning.

I said I wasn't a diehard fan, but that's not to say I didn't enjoy their music, nor that I don't realize their impact upon popular music. At times they could be hokey, at times Mary's voice grated on my nerves, and occasionally I think I disagreed with her politics, but they certainly found a way to use music to change the social consciousness of a generation, something that is sadly lacking in so much of pop music today. And they created tight harmonies long before the invention of electronic voice harmonizers and instant tuners. It was a treat to see them that night, singing all their hits backed up by a symphonic orchestra.

So, yes, Peter, Paul, and Mary will never be again. But I saw them once, live at the Hollywood Bowl. And it was a good night.

No comments: