Saturday, October 31, 2009

Thanks, Christian Radio

One of the 'marker' points throughout the year is the first Christmas song I hear on the radio. Usually, it's right around Thanksgiving, and usually it will be a traditional Christmas tune. Think Bing Crosby or Nat King Cole. It's one of the moments that releases me into the fulness of the Christmas season, setting the tone for the weeks to come.

Imagine my chagrine when, pulling away from the recycling station this afternoon, I flipped on the car radio and heard Christmas music. On Halloween. "Is this a commercial?" I asked myself?

Nope. Apparently the local Christian music station has decided it's fun to play Christmas music all day long on Halloween. Talk about upsetting the base forces of the universe. Talk about utterly ruining my tradition. Talk about abusing an entire season for a 'cute' marketing gimmick.

Maybe if it had been Sinatra I might have been a little more open to the idea. But the worst of it was that the first song I heard was that horrific, awful screaming metal guitar version of "Carol of the Bells." An idea that never should have left the recording studio in the first place.

Now I'm trying to figure out if I can give myself a mulligan. . .or if the die has been cast and I'm stuck with that song, on this day, as the first Christmas song of 2009. This is not the predicament I wanted to be in today.

1 comment:

Jesanro said...

Seriously, what gives? I heard a Christmas song on the radio earlier this week! And WinCo already has their Christmas decoration stuff out...yikes!