Monday, January 11, 2010

Do you remember this moment?

It's one that has stuck with me. Maybe the one Olympic Moment that I remember above all others.

Perhaps because I was living just a little north of Calgary at the time, and had the opportunity to experience a bit of the 1988 Winter Olympics. We'd spent time in Calgary, headed up to Lake Louise for a weekend, taking in the visions of athletes swirling past, the colors of nations, the breathless excitement at potential medal winners, the beauty of the Canadian Rockies.

Brian Orser, the Canadian, was up against Brian Boitano, the American, for the gold in men's figure skating. Being an American in Canada, I took pride in Boitano's victory, and no little smug satisfaction in the disappointment of the Canadians around me.

But then, at the post-competition skating exhibition, Orser came out and skated this, a dance of beauty perfectly matched by a beautiful song. I'm no figure skating fan, really. But this took my breath away; the poignancy is breathtaking; truly a transcendent moment. There might be disappointment at missing the gold, and yet with one song he swept that aside. I don't really remember much about Boitano. . .but when I think of the Winter Olympics, this is the one moment I remember above all others.



The story of my life is very plain to read
It starts the day you came, it ends the day you leave
The story of my life begins and ends with you
the names are still the same, and the story's still the truth


I was alone, you found me waiting and made me your own
I was afraid that somehow I never could be
the man that you wanted of me


You're the story of my life, and every word is true
Each chapter sings your name, each page begins with you
It's the story of our time, and never letting go
And if I died today, I wanted you to know


Stay with me here, share with me, care with me
stay and be near
And when it began, I'd lie awake every night
just knowing somewhere deep inside
that our affair just might write


The story of my life, it's so very plain to read
It starts the day you came,
and ends the day you leave

2 comments:

Lori said...

I see what you mean. That was indeed a magnificent routine. The music was beautiful too. Thanks for sharing a truly magical moment and your experience.

Anonymous said...

Ok, I'm a bit behind on your blog, but when I think about those Olympics this is the one moment I also think of. In fact, it's probably the only Olympic moment I really remember from all of them. It really stuck with me. (Susan)