Monday, February 08, 2010

Random Thoughts on a Super Bowl

Was I the only one who thought Carrie Underwood went horribly out of tune at the end of the National Anthem?

I really thought the Colts would walk away with it, so the outcome was a pleasant surprise. Even being that close with only a couple minutes left, Manning driving for the tying score. . .that's the kind of drama a Super Bowl needs.

Unfortunately, other than that final drive, and a random play or two (onside kick, anyone?) the whole game seemed pretty bland. And not the best-played game, either. Can you say dropped passes?

Good job by the refs, though. Made the calls that needed to be made, but didn't change the outcome of the game.

Commercials? Were there any? I can't seem to remember any of them this morning.

What I do remember was the cringe-inducing half-time show. This is the curse of Janet Jackson - grandpas horribly singing songs from too-long ago. I know, I know. The Who is an important band in the history of rock-n-roll. But their voices are shot, their energy is gone. I'd have preferred Up With People - at least they have that certain air of spryness in their bodies.

I thought CBS did a good job, overall. Good, tight shots, not a lot of 'zap-pow' graphics or sound effects. Although they could have used a few more people sitting in their booth for the pre-, post-, and half-time, don't you think? Why stop at 5 guys shouting at each other?

While I found myself wondering whatever happened to smash-mouth football, I do have to admit that New Orleans put on a masterful display of ball-control offense. Poor Manning never had a chance to get in any rhythm. Must be a bitter taste in his mouth this morning.

Finally, I noted an ad near the end for the NFL Network, saying something about it 'always being football season.' Well, no. I think Spring Training is right around the corner. And the Mariners look like they might be contenders this season. So yesterday was nice and all, but I think I'm about ready for some baseball.

1 comment:

shallowfrozenwater said...

really? the M's? they have NO power whatsoever in their entire lineup. gotta love Ichiro and Figgins is a fine add but still, they have no sticks to knock anyone in.