Friday, April 16, 2010

Up close and Personal

I usually watch disasters unfold from a distance. Really, my life is pretty tame. So when people get stuck in tough situations, I tend to be the guy watching it on TV, or checking it out online. One of those recurring disaster situations is the 'storm in the midwest shutting down airports for a couple hours right before Christmas.' All those poor people stuck in airports with crazy crowds and no place to go. I watch them from the the comfort of my couch.

Except for this time. This time, it's me. Who ever would have guessed two months ago when we bought our tickets to Sweden that on the exact day of the flight all air travel to Europe would shut down because of a volcano? And who would guess that nobody would have a clue when things might start to get back to normal?

So here I am stuck in Iceland, trying to get to Sweden before Wednesday, when we have train tickets to Germany. The airline was kind enough to put us up at a hotel tonight, but after tonight, it's on our dime. Which is another factor to consider.

And, of course, even if flights resume, there's a backlog, so there's no guarantee we get on the next flight out. Who knows where all this is going.

At least Iceland has some wonderful geo-thermal swimming pools, and the people are very helpful and friendly. And at least we're away from the airport for tonight.

1 comment:

Ann said...

I've been thinking of and praying for you and your family, Dan! Grace and peace be with you in, through & despite the disruption!