Friday, September 30, 2011

A Psalm for B of A, et. al.

I remember being a kid, and going with mom and dad to open up a bank account. I remember that little passport-like book they gave me, where we kept track of how much money was in my little account. From time to time I'd earn some cash and we'd go give it to the nice bank teller, who then stamped new numbers in my book, and off we'd go into the big bright world. I even remember getting notices of the tiny bit of interest I'd made over the last few months.

I learned that banks were trustworthy, that they were reputable, respectable organizations who cared about little people like me. I gained a worldview that said "Banks are good! Banks can be trusted! Banks are here to help!"

It's taken a lot of time for me to let that image go, and replace it with a much more realistic one. One that says "banks are evil and satanic and vile and despicable and untrustworthy and willing to walk all over the little people to maximize their profits on behalf of the wealthy and powerful."

Yes, we dropped out of that system when WaMu was sold off to Chase, and are now happy members of the local credit union, where they still know us by name and where they still give lollipops to our kids. And I'm looking forward to the day we take our daughters down there to open up a savings account.

In the meantime, based on the news of B of A's intent to steal money for their customers by charging a fee to use debit cards, I offer this (slightly out of context) Psalm to the fatcat bankers trying to gouge hardworking Americans just to pay for their vacations in Bermuda:  

They encourage each other in their evil plans,
they talk about hiding their snares; 
they say, 'Who will see it?" 
They plot injustice and say, 
"We have devised a perfect plan!" 
Surely the human mind and heart are cunning 

But God will shoot them with his arrows; 
they will suddenly be struck down. 
He will turn their own tongues against them and bring them to ruin; 
all who see them will shake their heads in scorn. 
Psalm 64:5-8 (TNIV)

No comments: