Depends on where you find yourself in this map:
Unless you're like me, who adopted "soda" while in California and just can't quite bring myself to say "pop" anymore.
Two quick highlights:
- this is not a joke, but a serious article in the journal of English Linguistics.
- according to the article, "Americans drink so much of the carbonated beverages sold under such brand names as Coca-Cola, Pepsi, Sprite, Mountain Dew, and 7-Up that consumption averages 43 gallons per year for every man, woman, and child in the United States." Anybody want to hazard a guess for a cause of the rising obesity and diabetes rates?
source.
2 comments:
Oh Dan, you've touched on a continuing debate in this household!
Steve is from L.A., so by rights he ought to refer to it as "soda," but no, he insists it is "pop."
May I encourage you to continue to name things correctly, as we were taught to in St. Louis. ; )
When in Rome, do as the Romans do! I say pop here at home, and when I go to California to visit my family, I say soda. Who cares anyway. It's garbage going into our system, and I fully admit that I am a Pepsiholic as well as a coffee fiend. Any statistics on coffee Dan? I'd like to see that too.
Post a Comment