Personally, I think the world would be just as wicked, if not moreso, if we all did what was right in God's eyes. A different kind of wickedness maybe - a holy, righteous, perfect wickedness - but a wickedness nonetheless.
Dan, if I thought that most Christians really took the Sermon on the Mount as God's Word, then I wouldn't object to them telling The World to do things differently.
As it stands, the collective Christian witness is so utterly tarnished that to accuse the World of "doing whatever seems right in your own eyes" is actually kind of a compliment.
Karl, I won't argue with you. Sadly, when I say "everyone," I have to include Christians in there too. In fact, when I quoted that verse I was thinking specifically of a few 'Christians' I know who are choosing to act otherwise.
Still, I draw a sharp distinction between the actions of fallen people and the will of God.
On another note, the word capture below is "chotort." Which I think is a lovely mashup of "chortle" and "retort."
6 comments:
I have often thought the same thing, Dan.
So right, unfortunately. Sometimes the Old Testament can seem distant, but the book of Judges is all too relevant today.
Personally, I think the world would be just as wicked, if not moreso, if we all did what was right in God's eyes. A different kind of wickedness maybe - a holy, righteous, perfect wickedness - but a wickedness nonetheless.
How would "Love you neighbor as yourself" equate to wickedness?
Dan, if I thought that most Christians really took the Sermon on the Mount as God's Word, then I wouldn't object to them telling The World to do things differently.
As it stands, the collective Christian witness is so utterly tarnished that to accuse the World of "doing whatever seems right in your own eyes" is actually kind of a compliment.
Karl, I won't argue with you. Sadly, when I say "everyone," I have to include Christians in there too. In fact, when I quoted that verse I was thinking specifically of a few 'Christians' I know who are choosing to act otherwise.
Still, I draw a sharp distinction between the actions of fallen people and the will of God.
On another note, the word capture below is "chotort." Which I think is a lovely mashup of "chortle" and "retort."
Post a Comment